Sunday, December 30, 2018

Journaling Out Loud...2019

As some of you know I have had a pretty rough past few years. Both my step-dad and my birth dad passes away, my son for arrested for a crime he did not commit and was facing 2 life sentences in jail, my hubby was diagnosed with MS and all 3 of my pets passed. I got myself into a dark place and was not caring for myself, my family, my home or my art. I was just barely getting by at work. Mentally I think I checked out for a couple of years. 

Now I am moving forward. I am back on track and ready to face the future. I have learned to always help those in need, listen when someone wants or needs to talk to you and always remember there are no guarantees in this life. We are born, we die...that's all we get. What you do with the time in the middle is up to you. It depends on how much you want it and how well you handle the things that happen to you. Your attitude towards life is your best defense.

I have ADHD pretty bad...I have learned that I do much better when I plan things as much as possible and of course, set goals for myself. I wanted a college degree even thought I was a high school drop out. I set that as my goal and I achieved it. I wanted to be a teacher do I set that goal, got a masters degree and became an art teacher. I absolutely love teaching elementary art and of course sharing it with y'all. 

My Journaling Out Loud 2019 book

Last year in 2018 I challenged myself to create something new each day. I made it 215 times. I did not make my goal but I did create 215 new pieces of art that I would not have otherwise had and OMG the things I learned. I can say I am a much better artist than I was 365 days ago and that is all just from trying to reach my goal. The practice has been unbelievable and the places it took me were amazing and the people I meet along the way were positive and just plan awesome. All of these new experiences I would not have had if I had not challenged myself to create something everyday in 2018. 

This year I am laying out my goals for all to see. I am hoping my tribe will keep me honest and moving forward. I picked ten 1 year goals, five 5 year goals and one 10 year goal. I plan to keep track of my progress towards my goals on my Art Room Blog Facebook page
You are welcome to follow along or better yet join me. 

I have been art journaling for 30 years so when I read that "they" now believe daily journaling can help you life a more positive life I was not surprised at all. It has truly help me all this time.  

I got my journal at Michaels for only $2.50 with my 50% off coupon. 
Full price they are only $5 so it still an amazing deal. 

I bought all these for my Advanced Art Club kids!

My 2019 Journaling Out Loud book...

I painted a cover page and then
on the pages 3 and 4 I wrote out my 2019 goals.

On pages 5 and 6 I wrote out my daily routine. 
I pretty much stay up until about 1 or 2 am. I have always done that since I was little. My parents had to drive me around in the car all over downtown Atlanta, Georgia to get me to sleep when I was a baby and of course as soon as I got home and they tried to put me down I woke up straight away! I since have had a few birthdays I have discovered I can not do that to my mind and body any more. I can stay up late but I can no longer get up at 6 am and start my day. I read recently that the long term lack of sleep is a factor in Alzheimer's. My father had it, his mother had it and her mother had it.....none of them ever slept! Sooooo... I am looking to make a big change in my life. 

I also want to focus on my life goals, beliefs and the mantra I have lived by as well.

Mantra- When I was a very poor young single mother I would always tell myself "If you just keep trying and moving forward life will get better" and guess what it did. However I think I quit saying it to myself once I though life was better, when I had a job and a house of my own. I need to keep reminding myself of my own mantra every day.  Life can only get better.

Goals-A good education is the most important thing we can give ourselves and in doing so make the world a better place to live. Continue your education throughout your life and help others better their lives through education as well. I dropped out of high school...no one cared....I do not want any of my students thinking that no one cares. I want them all to know how important education is. I also want my art students to know there are amazing careers in the arts and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. 

Beliefs-I an not a very religious person. I have studied Buddhism for the past 25 years. I love the philosophy especially where Karma is concerned but I struggle with the reincarnation aspect of Buddhism. I think I am a spiritual person...whatever that means. I question the existence of God almost on a daily basis. But I believe if there is a God he gave me a powerful brain that allows me to use my free will and question not only His very existence but the way things happen in the world. What I do believe is that we are here on Earth for a very short time, this is the one shot we have we must be the best humans we can possible be. I believe we much to everything in our power to help each other rise to our greatest potential. We are here to better each other and to better this planet. Every thing we do and every action we take should be to make this world a better place then when we arrived. 

These are the things I try and live be everyday of my life. I hope by Journaling Out Loud I can move my life forward in a positive and loving way. 

Please join me...







No comments:

Post a Comment