Saturday, December 22, 2018

1st Grade Color Wheels...Kind of



This is a fun and super easy way to teach or review the color wheel. 

Start with a 12x12 sheet of paper turned to a diamond. 

I use a old top that is 6inches across to trace my curves from.
However you can use what every you have on hand. I save all kinds of plastic lids and anything round things.

Any 5 or 6 inch diameter circle will work.


Start with the circle on the point and then trace 1/2 of the circle.

Now do the other side.

Move up the side of the paper a little and make another Simi-circle on one side...

and then the other. These first 4 curves are important because they will help you place the work together on the bulletin board when it's all are finished.

After the first 4 curves ....I just tell the kids to create at will.

Working their way up the paper.







Until they reach the top. I have students get my "okay doky" before they paint. They usually need a few more curves. Just check to make sure the large spaces are broken up.

Then start paining from the bottom up...Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Violet. 
Make sure you are paining in each section individually and not making entire swatches of color across your paper. 






When everyone is finished you can put them up on the board with the red centers pointed in so it forms a crazy, collaborative color wheel.

This is our inspiration piece. I wish I could tell you where it came from.
It is on a printed paper that I got years ago. If anyone knows please let me know do I can give the artist the credit it deserves!





No comments:

Post a Comment