Monday, March 21, 2016

Do You Allow Students to Throw Away Their Art In Your Room?...

When Art Goes In the Trash is the topic posed by

Melissa Purtee

 writing for the Art of Ed web site



My response to this Existential Dilemma is--- I ask students why they are throwing their art away in the first place. I tell them to please have enough respect for me to at lease throw it away somewhere else, I put a lot of time and effort in teaching that assignment to you  Then I tell them to have enough respect for the creative process to wait at least one week to see if they might like the work better at that time and then make a decision. If after one week they still don't like it, change it in some way before you decide to toss it. If after you change it then at least you have made a fully informed and thoughtful decision before you tossed it. And if you do deside it is not what you thought it would be save it and cut it up to be used in future projects and at the very least please consider recycling instead of tossing it into a landfill.


No comments:

Post a Comment