Sunday, June 30, 2019

TP Cat Sculptures with 3rd Grade...



Start with an old thread spool. I got a box of 80 on Ebay for $50
This is day one of a 4 day process, however each step does not take the entire class.
You should have some back up work ready.

Dip the top of the cone in liquid glue.

I collected TP rolls from my 3rd grade parents.

Cut out a diamond shape space in the middle of the TP roll. 
I had to do this step for some of kids but most of them were able to handle it on their own and then help other.

Next set the TP roll on to of the cone with the glue. 


The last step for the day is to cut out and attach the ears.
I used a TP roll and cut triangles off the end.
The kids dipped the ears in glue that was on a foam tray and attached them to the top of the TP rolls on the cones.

 After gluing on the ears on the kids used a Sharpies to write their names and their
teacher's name inside the cone and place them on the rack.


I labeled each shelf with their teacher's name. 
This process took most the class (30 Mins). After their cat was on the rack they
got their art journals and started to work for the remainder of the class.

Day 2

Today we will paint on a single base coat color.

This is a fairly quick process, about 20 minutes. 
When they are finished painting they put their painted cats back on the rack and get out
any old or unfinished work. I also allow the faster finisher to help the more detailed workers get their cats painted.

Day 3


Designs and pattern painting...then back to the drying rack.
On the third day I start a new drawing project before they begin paining their details. 
After they get the instructions for the new project they may start their designs and patterns.
When they are finished they may start on the new project.
I would keep the new project fairly simple and manageable. 

Day 4

Eyes, tails and whiskers. 
First they add the white paint and then a black dot for the pupil.
Next they use pipe cleaners for the whiskers and really fluffy ones for the tail.

The kids pick out their colors for ones I have already cut down to size and then dip them in the glue.
Tail and whisker gluing is the last step. I have them lay their cats on wax paper on the table next to them to dry as they are working on last weeks drawing project. I walk around and grade the cats as they are drawing. 





Tails
You can buy these on Amazon HERE

Whiskers
You can buy the tiger striped pipe cleaners HERE on Amazon

I use craft glue for this projects. It holds well and seems to dry faster then regular liquid glue.
You can buy the tacky glue HERE on Amazon


This is our photo inspiration from Pinterest. I tried following the link but it was a dead end.


No comments:

Post a Comment