Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A Traditional Classroom vs A Choice Based Classroom...

I am a traditional classroom teacher, meaning I cover the material then the kids do the lesson in class. Hopefully in their own creative way. I would want to take art classes from a traditional classroom teacher and I feel it's the best way to get the needed information out to elementary students. But it's not the only way...

I also offer choice base education in that when the kids are finished with their lesson they can work in their journals or on bonus assignments. There are also different art stations they can work at around the room.  I feel most kids, especially in elementary school need some type of guided instruction. But I still want to make sure I have places where everyone can spread their wings as well!


This is a photo of a couple of my  my stations.  Each color of the boxes goes with the color of a table.  When students are finished with their assigned lesson they may go get a box and crate using the supplies in the box. Another station is the art library where students may read a book and then create art based on that book. The white notebooks contain art lesson that are easy to read and can be implemented with little to no help from the teacher. The baskets contain art cards that I have collected over the years cards such as postcards, museum mail-outs, flash cards from college, etc. Each contains information about the artist. Students can pick out their favorite paining or artist and create a work based on that artist style or study up on a new artist. At the end of class students may then share their art work or talk about their artist. 

It is a little messy right now but I wanted to show y'all how it really looks in it's natural state and not the cleaned-up version that I have in my head! There is a journal station manager in each class who is in charge of making sure the area is clean before each class leaves. This is the "mid-class" view on a catch-up day....



No comments:

Post a Comment