Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Today's Art Room Report

Day 7...

Spent an amazing day with the elementary art teachers in Prince William County, Virginia.  We had our annual first of the year get together. I love being able to get together with everyone and catching up. Other than conference and the County show this is one of the only times we are all together. This year we have a new Director of Fine Arts and a new Visual Arts Coordinator. And both did just an awesome job today. One of our activities, after wading through all the important paper work and lesson planning review was to focus on how and were we come up with our lesson plan ideas. I get my ideas from everywhere. Sometimes it's the way a shadow falls on the floor or the colors in the carpet of a restaurant from a pattern or from famous works of art. 

Next we were given an envelope full of office supplies and asked to build the highest structure possible with only these materials. We could also not tape it to the table or the ceiling. But most importantly we could not talk to each other, we could communicate but we could not talk.

This is me putting the final touches on our tower

Ta Da!

I think they had more paper than we did....or they just used what that had better. Wow that is tall!


Team work in action here.

Love it but is that taped to the table? 

Love the loops at the end of this one.

This looks to me like an abstract giraffe and giraffes are very tall. 

This one was not so tall but very creative. Sometimes it's good to not follow the rules

The shape arrangement is great, I love that they went for form over height. 

Look how calm they are! They have the confidence in knowing it was well constructed, followed the rules and reached great heights. Nice job.


Aesthetic value is sometimes more important...

Next we were asked to restructure the tower, still only using the materials  in the bag but this time we could talk to each other.

But still could not tape it to the ceiling,

or the table, but wow that is tall!



They swear it was the tallest one. Maybe an earthquake disrupted it.

Fantastic strength and construction.

Very Creative.

Very tall!

Everyone deserves a second try...thanks for that one Jasmine!




We all need a little extra support sometimes!




Our little masterpiece! At first we were inspired by Banksy's Dismaland Park but then I just kept adding stuff on. It is for it's looks and not it's ability to be tall. That's the story we are going with anyway!

The art people received aprons and the music people received book bags. We all drew on them during the mornings meeting. We can't help it it's just the way our brains are designed!
A beautiful Zentangled Apron!!!

So lovely!

This is my work in progress...After cleaning out my studio this weekend I seem to have a lot of "works in progress"!

Then if all that was not enough, we got to work with clay! Diana Farris from Amaco clay instructed us to create 3 cups.

This project was based on the work  Three Cups 
Click HERE for the Amaco clay link for this project.
One is Save, one is Spent and one is Give



This is my Spending and my Savings cups. You will notice that both have great big gaps, which significantly limits their ability to hold any thing....I mean at all!



This is the Gifted and Talented table!


After the county art meeting, my school had Kindergarten night for the Suzanne Reading room. This is a time when the cute little K kids may come to school and meet their teachers and the Encore team.

In art we made squish bugs with googly eyes of course!





There was a fire truck the kids got to climb on and wear the fireman's hat. It was also blocking my way when I tried to leave. But a very nice fireman helped me back out and safely get on my way home. Where I fell asleep the second I walked in the door! Awesome day!


No comments:

Post a Comment