Monday, August 17, 2015

Art Gallery As a Reward...

For my behavior system...if you can call it that, I let the students buy famous works of art.

I get the cards from many different places such as museum notices, greeting cards, old text book posters and my best find was "The Art Book" that I found at 1/2 Price Books. 

I laminate them so they will last year after year.

I keep them very well organized in a high quality expensive basket.

On the back of each card I attach the artist's name, title of the work, a bit about the work and the work's value. I can usually Google the value but sometimes I have to guess. 

Each table is it's own art gallery-Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Violet. Students may name their gallery something different but it has to end in the table color. I need to keep it simple to go from class to class each day.

The table that has worked together and focused on their art during their art class time gets to go to the "auction" and buy art. Students then place their art in a 1 gallon zip lock bag. I always pass the bags out at the start of class along with student work. After a while we see which gallery has the most expensive collection and that table or gallery will be able to come up front and show off their collection. If that gallery (the students) can discuss their work with knowledge and authority they may buy a bonus piece of art work at auction. They also get prize pencils, which are surprisingly popular! 

Everyone whats to buy the Mona Lisa! 
She is my quiet sign.  I say 3, 2, 1 Mona Lisa and everyone has to stop and look at me, hold their hands still and smile.


Link to back articles of Today's Art Room Report:


No comments:

Post a Comment