Sunday, April 10, 2011

"if..." Art Journaling Project Day 3


Using prompts is an easy way to work your way through an artist block. I will be working through the book "The Big Book of If..." by Evelyn McFarlane and James Saywell. I hope you will all follow along with me.
If you would like the buy the book there are lots of copies at
Amazon.com


To paint in- you can use any old hardcover book-look for one that is sewn together not glued or perfect bound or you can get a Strathmore sketch book like the one I am using. Look for pages that are at least 90lbs or heavier.

* If you could spend one whole night alone with anyone in history, who would you select?
It would be Amelia Earhart. We could stay up all night and have girl talk! If would be fun. I have so many questions I want to ask her. I think she must have been an amazing woman. So brave to do her own thing in a time woman were not encouraged to do so. She took off into the air to live her own life...

1. First I Gessoed the page white, though now I can't remember why I wasted my time doing that? The pages are already white! But it does help the rest of the paint go on smoother.

2. I put Crimson Red watercolor paint from a tube on both pages-dry- and then spread it around with a baby wet wipe until the pages were all red.


3. Next I mixed in a little raw sienna and washed it around with a baby wipe.


4. Then I rubbed on a little Lemon Yellow. This time I also wet a brush filled withblue liquid tube watercolor and "flung" it all around the pages.


5. I selected iconic images of Amelia Earhart to cut and alter and then collage onto my pages.

6. Next I selected some background paper that I thought would look good under Amelia. One of the papers I selected had early, industrial clock looking lines on it. It just seemed to fit her time period and the colors worked.

7. I altered the images of Amelia and then glued the background papers into place and then arranged and then the Amelia images on top of the background papers. I used matte Modge Podge to glue everything in place.


8. I gessoed the edges of the collage work to soften them just a little.

9. I added some travel stickers I found at Big Lots. The colors matched my pallet. I used some of the stickers to spell out Amelia's first and last name.


10. Using a graphic design tool. I created lines on the pages to write my story. The tool is really cool. It bends in all types of ways and then you can make the same lines over and over and you sentences will come out even-in any directions. Without this tool all my lines tend to up high on the back side, it's weird.

11. For some highlights I added baby blue dots around the page using acrylic craft paint. Then the blue dried I added white dots around the blue dots.

12. I wanted a little extra punch...did I just just a catchy graphic design phrase? YUCK! any way, for some added interest I painted red hearts around the pages.

13. Finally when everything was dry I aded the words and some doodling with a fine tipped Sharpie.


now its your turn...If you have any questions please contact me!

No comments:

Post a Comment